My wonderful friend/old roommate/very first companion to Guatemala, Emily Heartsill, has decided to fly to Guatemala on October 31 and stay with me until November 14. Together we will fly back to the States on November 14 and I will begin working frantically to ensure that everything is ready for the wedding on December 1.
| Emily with orphan Chana in 2010 |
| Emily and precious orphan Daisy 2010 |
I am really excited have her coming. My birthday is November 1. She is getting here the day before and I won't have to spend my birthday all alone. She will be staying in my second bedroom in the apartment, which I have decorated nicely (lol):
Anyway, she will help me build relationships, look for land for sale for Casa Gloria, teach English as a way to serve the people here, and hold Bible studies if the opportunity arises. I can't wait!
~
Meet Pricilia, Josue, and Jose Carlos.
I have been working with these three precious kids twice a week, helping them to study and learn English. They spoke NO english when we first started and now here they are:
~
Meet Julio.
My really good friend Julio, who you can also befriend on Facebook - Julio Noe Chen - has been learning English a lot, and has been helping me immensly with things I need help with. He is also the one who has been accompanying me to the Dump to give out gospels, food, and water. He has something he would like to say to you:
~
Meet Sergio.
Sergio runs the Paca (cheap clothe store) a few doors down from my apartment. He asked me to teach him a little English. He is a former skateboarder who had a very severe accident when he was not wearing a helmet. The Lord saved and healed him and he kept the skateboard as a testimony. On it he wrote, "Holy Holy Holy is the Lord God Almighty." This is what Sergio wants you to know:
~
Meet Allan.
Allan (facebook) sells gas for stoves in Coban. I called him one day, sure that my 35lb tank was out, and he came all the way to bring me gas only to look at me very curiously, flip a little switch up, and tell me I still had 2/3 a tank left and I won't be out for another 3 months. He drove all the way here and carried that heavy tank up for nothing! I felt terrible. Turns out he has a good knowledge of the English language and would love for someone to teach him. He told me a testimony about how the Lord saved his wife, gave him three boys, a good job, and showed me a video of his church before he left. He left with a New Testament in his hand and we have been studying English twice a week since. He has something he would like to share with you:
~
Remember Mr. Rick.
Mr. Rick has sold 11 more airplanes since I wrote the blog about him selling 4 in a couple of weeks. That's 15 airplanes in a month and a week. Please, let me let Mr. Rick explain to you the significance of that:
"Ok, to answer your question, in this economy it would take about a year to do that many. I sold 13 last year and 12 the year before. Those past deals where super thin....The deals these past weeks have been very high margin all around and very easy closers. The normally ultra complicated, complex, extremely difficult, and very stressful deliveries have so far all been a breeze (a dream)."
When God lays it on your heart to do something that might look like a sacrifice to your worldly eyes, please, do it joyfully and with thanksgiving in your heart sacrifice even more than the minimum God has asked from you, and then remember Mr. Rick's testimony that when we are faithful with a little, we will be given an opportunity to prove ourselves faithful with a lot! "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' ---Jesus
| Pray this life-changing scripture will make it into the hands most needy of God's Word. |
While land has been hard to find lately, I am still on the search. I know the Lord will provide the terrain for Casa Gloria. Meanwhile, in between relationship building, teaching English, and finding other ways to serve the people here in Jesus' name, I ran across a new, potentially wonderful, opportunity. The "manager" of the dump informed me that in his town, Esperanza (Hope), some misonaries came a few years back and began working with orphans. After a couple of years they left and returned home. Now in Esperanza there are quite a few orphans all living together in one house. The manager's wife works with these children every now and then. We called her today to see if we could come and help. Next Thursday, me, Emily, and Julio will be taking a bus to their town with snacks and the gospel. When we asked the lady what she recommend that we bring, she told us to bring good news from the Bible that will comfort these orphans and let them know they are not alone, but that God is always with them. I was not expecting that to be her answer, but praise God, we will do just that. Many of the children are 3-4 years old, and some are up to 12.
If any of you have any ideas for ways we can further serve these children without having a children's home just yet, I would love to hear your ideas. There are about 200 children with needs in this one town, or that is what we were told. Only the neediest ones will be coming next Thursday, supposedly, according to the woman. She will invite them on Saturday. We will see....
In Christ we have been freely given all things,
Jenna
No comments:
Post a Comment