Before I moved here in September of 2011, I was working at a bank. A nice, calm, air conditionered bank where my superiors appreciated my work and gave me pay raises and promotions to show for it. I would wake up at the same time every morning and knew where I'd go that day and how long I'd be there. The only thing to worry about was what to eat for dinner that night.
Then I moved to Guatemala and everything changed. I work in a dirty, jungly, rainy place where only God is my superior and my present day rewards for all my work is nothing but the rare day without the phone ringing or a good night's sleep. I wake up having no idea what my role will be for the day. I could be -and have been- a boss, a hirer, a translator, a secretary, and treasurer, an accountant, a banker, a wife, the PR person, a construction worker, a gardener, a cook, a nurse, a therapist, an evangelist, a business negotiator, a children's home director, an english teacher, a tutor, a veternarian, the cleaning lady, or the garbage man. I wear many hats here and thankful I am when I go to bed knowing more or less what I should be doing the next day.
I know all kinds of stuff about construction, tractors, tools, woodyards, septic systems, water pumps, and cutting grass with a machete, but I haven't had my hair cut since last November. I've learned all about how to diagnose sicknesses in children and adults and can usually recommend the medicine needed to cure them, and I am the go to person when your dog is dying, but I can't figure out how to keep myself from parasites and colds.
Here, a good day is when no one gets hurt and everything shows up on time with no surprises. Here those good days are few and far between. This is our reality and I am learning day by day to accept it and somewhat appreciate it.
This past month has been filled with making plans to pour a driveway down the big hill on the other side of our property that gives us direct access to the road. We were blessed to be able to complete this project because of a great group who devoted a week down here to making it happen. This group came mostly from Washington and one from Oregon and one from Idaho. I could write all day on how wonderful these guys were to be around and how they generously gave so much to our project and ministry. 5 guys worked nonstop, back-breaking work. They worked in the pouring rain, in the burning sun, through an infiltration of moths and other bugs, and they never complained. The one female on the team spent her week at an indigenous lady's house cooking on her dirt floor over firewood and making more than just snacks and lunch for all the guys. She made relationships with the woman and her children that will last a lifetime.
Everyone was tired and we had plenty of Guatemala's normal complications throughout the week, but we succeeded. And not only that, we got an absolutely beautiful sign on our front gate, props to Adam and Jen at Clarity Signs.
The team spent their last day in the area saying good byes and giving parting gifts. They gave a big gift to the children of the dump by spending an hour just playing with them and loving on them. This meant the world to some of those kids and meant a lot to the team too.
We said our good byes to the team and now we are hard at work again. Back to our everyday lives of complications and stresses. I never came to the mission field thinking it would be easy work. I knew that not only would it be hard and stressful, but it would also be worth it. It is not about being happy. Happy can be so superficial. But bringing the plight of the poor to the eyes of the rich, the plight of the suffering to the eyes of the comfortable, being a voice for the children who will never be heard, helping the helpless, and sharing the love and salvation that only Jesus brings to those who might not otherwise hear....that brings you something far more valuable than a nice house and a nice car can ever bring you, namely, joy, as well as a peace that comes from knowing you are right where God wants you.
So we are praying that by the end of this month, because of the generosity of many of you, we will be able to begin the construction of the main home that will house 25 of Guatemala's orphaned, abandoned, abused, and HIV children and babies. Pray that with us. We will put ourselves in God's hands as we empty out the MVN bank account as well as our own personal bank account and give everything that the Lord has given us right back to Him, believing in faith that He will multiply our efforts in seeing that the fatherless will one day get to know their one true Father.
So bring on the gray hair :)
Love,
Jenna
No comments:
Post a Comment