Thursday, February 13, 2014

Follow up: The Boy Without a Name

In my most recent blog you read of the baby boy who will turn 3 months old in two more days. His mother gave birth to him and he has been in the hospital in Coban ever since. The mom, no where in sight.

I had no other details to give you except how innocent and precious this baby boy was. This past Monday I went for the very first time to keep my promise with the Lord and nurse him, pray over him, and love on him. They would only let me stay from 2pm - 4pm as those are the visiting hours. No one had ever attended this sweet boy except the nurses. He spent all day every day right there in that little room as newborn babies came and went. I arrived on Monday and lifted him up and held him close. He smiled and he purred. He cooed and he purred some more. It was precious to look into his eyes and hold him to my chest and play with his tiny fingers and whisper to him. He nursed until he fell asleep and I held him tight the whole time. He woke up and nursed some more. In my heart I called him Isaac, the child of the promise, the long awaited child. And to me, that is exactly what he was.

Everyone asked me if I was going to take him home with me. Apparently, everyone doesn't really know the law. But I told them I'd be back on Thursday. That is today.
Every time the Lord brought "Baby Isaac" to my mind, I'd pray for him. I know many of you were also praying for him. I believe with all my heart that we were the only ones that have ever prayed for this little baby.

Today, 1:55pm, I arrive. I can't wait to see this little boy. The nutritionist walks me to the nursery and the nurse looks at her and says, "He isn't here."

"Where is he?" asked the nutritionist.

"His mom took him."

A million things went through my head when she said that. I thought that is great....I think. How weird. The mom left the day he was born and for three months, only today she comes back for him.

I drove home wondering what was the point that the Lord had asked me to go and nurse this baby, if only just for one time. I couldn't understand it.

When I got home, I had a message from the pediatrician at the hospital. Our pediatrician. The one who worked all this out from the beginning. I called him and he told me the story:

The mom of this baby was 13 years old when she came to give birth to him in the hospital. The law in Guatemala says that anyone under 14 who gets pregnant, it is automatically assumed rape and the father is to be arrested. There is a lack of education that leads to a lot of misunderstandings in this country. It is common that the people know half the law, but not the other half. The girl and her family thought she would be arrested too. She just turned 14 and they went to the judge to see if they could get the baby back without her being arrested. It was extremely unusual, according to the doctor, that the judge would act so quickly. He sent them with the order to get the baby. This morning the 14 year old mother arrives with her mother and together they go to get the baby. This turned out to be a very big deal as quite a few of the nurses had gotten attached to him. The mother held her boy for the very first time and wept. The baby just smiled and cooed at her. Everyone was extremely emotional for this reunion was truly incredible. And they left, a family.

What a smile I have on my face to write you this. I was also told that the other baby that was abandoned had been sent to a home last week. So for now, Coban has no abandoned babies in the hospital, a precious little mommy and grandmother are loving all over their long awaited son. And there is a little baby boy who can spend the rest of his life at his mother's chest.

Maybe the Lord was waiting for someone to pray all along. Praise the Lord.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenna,
    I was in this hospital in March 2012 and held an abandoned baby girl named Suzanna, so I easily connected with your story. It was so hard to leave her there, and hard to not know what happened to her. Your story was comforting because all I had was prayer. Thank you for sharing this story and for loving these kids.
    Bill
    Calgary, Alberta

    ReplyDelete